Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Bokeh Technique

bo·keh
bōˈkā/
noun
the visual quality of the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image, especially as rendered by a particular lens
Pretty, right?!!!

I had several people ask me how to do the Bokeh technique.  The way I do it is very simple, but it does take practice.

You will need:
The ink of your choice (preferably colors that would look good when blended)

I used the following groupings of inks:
Lagoon, Glacier, and Smoothie
Lagoon, Pear, and Smoothie
Pixie, Glacier, and Pear
Pacifica (all by itself)



White Daisy ink

Sponge daubers or round sponge (cute it up like a pie to get lots of uses) will work also
 or  

Circle template of varying sizes of circles
.
Using my Cricut Expression and CTMH's Art Philosophy to cut circles of different sizes.  I just used a plain piece of white daisy cardstock to cut the circles.  The best way to do the template is to use Cricut Craft Room and you can use that to randomly place the circles.


Now that you have the tools needed to do the Bokeh technique you are ready to start!

1.  Take any size white daisy cardstock (I suggest starting with a 4.25x5.5" card base until you get good at it)

2.  Using a sponge dauber choose a color and ink up your sponge or dauber.  I start in one corner and go in circles and skip around.  You can always go back and fill in empty spaces.  When your white cardstock is full of the colors you chose you are ready to use the circle template.








3.  Place your circle template on your now colorful white cardstock.  Using another sponge dauber or piece of the pie sponge ink it up using the white daisy ink and color in the circles however you see fit.  You can rearrange the template to get more circles on your card.  Also, you don't have to re-ink for every circle.  Some will look "closer" and others "farther away" depending on the amount of white ink used.


4.  Voila!  Now you can decorate your project.


A few things you need to know...
Your fingers WILL be messy
It will take practice
You will be addicted

Here are some examples of the cards I have made.
1.

2.


3.
This one is my favorite!


4.
I only used Pacifica for this card. 


If you have any questions let me know!!  Watch my facebook page for a contest coming very very very soon!








No comments:

Post a Comment